Find your username and password for a manual VPN setup
In order to set up BulletVPN manually on your router, you will first need to obtain your BulletVPN credentials (i.e., username and password) for the manual configuration.
- The Username is the email address that you used to create your BulletVPN account.
- The VPN password for manual setups is not the same as the password for apps and the account. You can find it in the client area in the top-left green box next to VPN Pass. Click Show to view it.
Note: Please have your Username and VPN password ready, as you will be asked to enter them later in the setup process.
Find the VPN server address
In order to find the server address that you wish to use, please click here: Servers List.
Once you are on the servers list page, locate the VPN server address under Server Name.
Download the OpenVPN configuration files
In order to download the OpenVPN configuration files, click here: Configuration files.
Extract the folder once it is downloaded.
Configure your DD-WRT router
- Launch your web browser.
- Input your router's local IP address in the address bar. (It is usually 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.254).
- Input your router's login credentials when prompted.
- Log in to your DD-WRT router and select Services, then go to the VPN tab and Enable OpenVPN Client.
- Now fill out the following details:
- Start OpenVPN Client: Enable
- Server IP/Name: Copy the VPN server address you found above
- Port: 1194 for UDP / 443 for TCP
- Tunnel Device: TUN
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256 CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA1
- Advanced Options: Enable
- TLS Cipher: None
- LZO Compression: Adaptive
- NAT: Enable
- Username: The email address that you used to create your BulletVPN account.
- Password: You can find it in the client area in the top-left green box next to VPN Pass. "Click Show to view it".
- Firewall Protection: Disable
- Leave the IP address and Subnet Mask field unfilled.
- Tunnel MTU: 1500
- Tunnel UDPMSS-Fix: Enable
- TLS Auth Key: Go to the BulletVPN OpenVPN Configuration files downloaded above. Open the file titled "wdc.txt" in notepad, copy all its content and paste it in the TLS Auth Key field.
- Additional Config: In case the Username and Password option is not available, copy the below path and paste it to the Additional Config field.
- CA Cert: Go to the BulletVPN OpenVPN Configuration files downloaded above. Now, open the file titled "ca.txt" in notepad, copy all its content and paste it in the CA cert field.
- Click on Save, then Apply Settings.
- Click on the Security Tab. Select the Firewall tab and disable SPI Firewall. Click on Save and Apply Settings again.
- Click on the Administration tab and select the Command tab. Enter the following script in the command box in case the Username and Password options are not available:
#!/bin/sh touch /tmp/user.txt echo -e “BulletVPN username\nBulletVPN password” > /tmp/user.txt
- There are some changes that you need to make in the text box, such as:
- Replace BulletVPN username with your account email address.
- Replace BulletVPN password with the VPN password you found above.
- Click on the Management Tab. Then, at the bottom, click on Save and Apply Settings. Finally, click on Reboot Router.
- Once the router reboots, log in again to your router and click on Status and select OpenVPN. You can see your VPN status from this window.
Seems complex? Buy a pre-configured BulletVPN Router here.